Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction In Boston
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program is an eight week course founded by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, where people learn how to use their innate resources and abilities to respond more effectively to stress, pain, and illness. The central focus of the course is intensive training in mindfulness meditation and its integration into the challenges and adventures of everyday life
The course is appropriate for beginners and experienced practitioners and includes:
- guided meditation instructions
- mindful movement
- structured home practice assignments
- guided practice recordings and hand-outs
- individually tailored instructions
- individual meeting/support to discuss progress and challenges
- a home practice manual
- information on how mindfulness undoes the damage caused by stress
- discussion aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- information on the mental, emotional and physiological effects of stress and relaxation
- group dialogue focused how mindfulness can free us from stress and unnecessary suffering
Decades of research has know shown mindfulness practice to be effective in reducing symptoms associated with a range of psychological and physical disorders.
Instructor: Marlo Pedroso has worked over 12 years as licensed clinical social worker. He has his own private practice in Jamaica Plain and is the found of Emergence project. He has been practicing and teaching Mindfulness for 15 years in the Vipassana, Insight and MBSR traditions. Marlo is a Qualified MBSR instructor, trained at the Center for Mindfulness at UMASS Worcester. He is a certified Iyengar Yoga teacher, and has studied with a range of teachers, including Thich Nhat Hanh, Jon Kabat-Zinn, S.N. Goenka, Sharon Salzberg, Joanna Macy, Narayan Liebenson, among others. He is has over 6 months of cumulative intensive retreat training.
Participants must attend an Orientation session to be considered for the course.
Orientation Sessions: Sunday 7-8pm. February 12th or 26th (choose one)
Course Dates: March 6, 13, 20, 27. April 3, 10, 17, 24 . Classes are held Monday nights and go from 6:30-9pm, except the 1st & last classes, which go from 6:30-9:30pm.
All Day Retreat: Saturday, April 15, from 11-6pm.
Orientation Sessions: Sunday 7-8pm. September 10th or 17th (choose one)
Course Dates: September 25. October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6, 13. Classes are Monday nights from 6:30-9pm, except the 1st & last classes, which go from 6:30-9:30pm.
All Day Retreat: Saturday, November 4th, from 11-6pm.
Where: Hope Central Church. 85 Seaverns St. Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Sliding scale spots and payment plans are available on a case by case basis for low-income individuals. Accessibility is important to us. Please contact us for more information.
This program has been approved for 21 Social Work Continuing Education hours for
re-licensure, in accordance with 258 CMR. Collaborative of NASW and the Boston College and Simmons Schools of Social Work.
How To Register:
1. Contact Marlo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-699-6076 and sign up for an orientation session.
2. Following the orientation session you will be invited to schedule a phone interview with the Marlo Pedroso, the instructor, to determine if the course is a good match.
3. If the course is deemed a good fit during the interview, you will then be asked to make your payment. This is required to reserve your spot. Spots are reserved in order that payments are received.
Payments may be made via check, credit card, or Paypal. Full-payment for course, minus a $100 non-refundable deposit, is refundable up to the start date of the course. After the 1st class no refund are possible.